EU general data protection regulation 2016/679 (GDPR)
Looking after your information
The EU general data protection regulation 2016/679 (GDPR), the UK Data Protection Act 1998, the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2005, the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2001, the Isle of Man Data Protection Act 2002 (together the ‘Data Protection Regulations’) require Ocean Signal Limited to manage personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Principles. This Privacy Notice explains how this data is collected, stored and used.
Ocean Signal Limited is required to process your personal information fairly and lawfully. This means that you are entitled to know how we intend to use any information you provide. You can then decide whether you want to give it to us in order that we may provide the product or service that you require. All our employees are personally responsible for maintaining customer confidentiality. We provide training and education to all employees to remind them about their obligations. In addition, our policies and procedures are regularly audited and reviewed.
The Data Protection Regulations do not generally apply to companies or non-personal entities but they do cover personal information relating to sole traders, partnerships and key account parties. Key account parties means individuals who are sole traders, proprietors, partners, directors, members, beneficial owners, trustees or other controlling officials of the business or organisation including signatories to the account.
Personal data can be collected from you when you use our website, download forms or software from our website or use web-based applications on our website, if you contact us by phone, post, email, skype, live-chat or if you sign up for a promotion, competition or survey, if you interact on any of our social media sites including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, or when you contact us or inform us of any other matter.
Type of Data Collected
Personal data may be collected automatically when using our services, including but not limited to, your IP address, device-specific information, server logs, device event information and location information.
Personal data may be collected when it is provided by you, including but not limited to, your name, address, telephone numbers, email addresses, payment and bank information.
Details of any interactions between Ocean Signal Ltd and yourself may be collected, including but not limited to, records of queries and correspondence whether written or verbal, images and documents.
How Your Data is Stored
We comply with accepted ISO standards for the storage and protection of personal data collected and it will be retained by Ocean Signal Ltd for as long as is necessary in accordance with all applicable laws in order to comply with any and all legal obligations. Data is stored securely in paper files at the Ocean Signal Ltd offices in Kent, UK and on our Secure Server including the use of encryption if appropriate.
How Your Data is Used
We use collected data to:
- Provide products and services
- To identify you and any associated account information
- Process sales and purchase orders
- Comply with contractual obligations
- Provide customer care, including knowledge of all historical contact
- Administer accounts, including payments and tracking
- Detect and prevent fraudulent activity
- Provide you with information about products and services
- Notify you of any significant changes to products and services
- Collect marketing and statistical data
- Research, develop and improve existing products and services
- Research and develop new products and services.
How Your Data is Shared
We may share the personal information we hold about you for the following administrative activities:
- Providing you or your business or organisation with products and services and notifying you about either important changes or developments to the features and operation of those products and services.
- Responding to your enquiries and complaints.
Administering offers, competitions, and promotions.
- Undertaking financial reviews; facilitating the secure access to online platforms; and also for the following data sharing activities:
- Updating, consolidating, and improving the accuracy of our records.
- Undertaking transactional analysis.
- Arrears and debt recovery activities.
- Testing new systems and checking upgrades to existing systems.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of marketing, and for market research and training.
- Customer modelling, statistical and trend analysis, with the aim of developing and improving products and services;
- Managing your relationship with Ocean Signal Limited
When We May Share Your Information
We will treat your personal information as private and confidential, but may share it with each other and disclose it outside Ocean Signal if:
- Allowed by this Privacy Statement or any other agreement between us.
- You consent.
- Needed by our agents, advisers or others involved in running accounts and services for you and your business or collecting what you or your business owe Ocean Signal Limited.
- Needed by subcontractors to help us manage your records
- Shipping/courier services and customs authority.
- HMRC or other authorities require it.
- The law, regulatory bodies (including for research purposes), or the public interest permits or requires it.
- Required by us or others to investigate or prevent crime.
- Any other parties connected with your account (including guarantors) need it.
- Required as part of our duty to protect your account.
We will always ensure your personal information remains safe and secure.
- You have a right to access the information that is stored about you.
- You have the right to object to our use of your personal data.
- You have the right to request your personal data is deleted, removed or for it to stop being used if it is not necessary. There may be legal and accountancy reasons why we may need to keep data.
- You have the right to request for inaccurate personal data about you to be corrected, deleted, destroyed or restrict processing.
- You have the right to request your personal data is not used for marketing purposes.
- You have the right to make a complaint about how we collect, store and use your personal data.
To exercise any of the above rights, or if you would like to make a complaint about how we collect, store and use your personal data please contact our Data Protection Officer:
• Mr Simon Nolan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Right to Make a Complaint
You have the right to make a complaint about how we collect, store and use your personal data to the Information Commissioner:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Tel: 0303 123 1113