The Purchasing Assistant will work with the Purchasing Manager to ensure the efficient supply of raw materials, finished goods, semi-finished goods and services required for all business operations.
- Review the sales forecast and production schedules and issue purchase orders to ensure continuity of material supply.
- Maintain appropriate inventory levels and actively assist with stock reduction planning.
- Reconcile stock on a monthly basis and assist with the year-end stock take.
- Issue RFQs and assist with supplier selection for both NPI and cost reduction projects.
- Maintain internal IT purchasing database (entering vendor details, pricing etc.)
- Book deliveries of direct and indirect material/consumables into MRP system
- Track orders and ensure timely delivery
- Carry out inspections of all goods received, ensuring correct condition and paperwork requirements are met.
- Notify key stakeholders of any discrepancies relating to over-shipments, delivery shortages and/or changes in quantity
- Ensure delivery/invoice discrepancies are resolved prior to month-end.
- Coordinate with goods-in operative to ensure correct storage of all of components, parts and materials and a good level of housekeeping is maintained.
- Manage stock transfers of material for sub-contracted components
- Liaise with suppliers and logistic providers
- Any other duties as may be reasonably required by the business from time to time.
- Relevant business/commercial or manufacturing/engineering degree or appropriate post A-level qualification.
- Membership of Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS) would be an advantage.
- Purchasing experience within a manufacturing environment.
- Previous experience of using a MRP system is essential.
- High level of proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, Access)
- Understanding BOM’s and Engineering Drawings would be an advantage
- Lean manufacturing experience would be advantageous
- Skills and Competencies Requirements
- Good knowledge of vendor sourcing practices (researching, evaluating and liaising with vendors)
- Understanding of supply chain procedures
- Good communication skills – written and verbal
- Comprehensive understanding of production processes
- Good accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly across all levels of the business
- Flexible and willing to adapt to change
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands:in a fast pace, hi-tech office while performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance, stop; talk or hear.The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment:While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to travel by means of sea, air or ground.The noise levels in the work environment are minimal.
HEALTH & SAFETY
Every employee has a responsibility to ensure that the working environment is a safe place to work. This is a matter of utmost importance to us, and you have a very important part to play.
You must comply with all health and safety instructions, both verbal and written, and with all signs and procedures in the workplace. Even minor breaches can have very serious consequences.
You must wear all protective clothing and use all protective equipment as required.
You should report any accidents, near misses and potentially unsafe situations to your supervisor, even if they appear trivial.
General sign-off:The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies.The Company handbook is available from HR, Intranet and notice boards.