Commitment to your privacy
This site is owned and operated by Ocean Signal Ltd. Your privacy on the Internet is of the utmost importance to us. At Ocean Signal, we want to make your experience online satisfying and safe. The Ocean Signal web site is a constantly developing site and some of the features mentioned in this policy may not be offered at this time.
Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we feel you should fully understand the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses what information we gather and how we use it.
Definition of the Information Ocean Signal gathers and keeps track of.
Ocean Signal gathers two types of information about users:
- Information that users provide through optional, voluntary submissions. These are voluntary submissions may include requests to receive our electronic newsletters, and from participation in polls and surveys:
- Information Ocean Signal gathers through aggregated tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our sites. Under no circumstances does Ocean Signal divulge any information about an individual user to a third party.
Ocean Signal Gathers User Information In The Following Processes:
- Optional Voluntary Information
We may offer the following free services, which require some type of voluntary submission of personal information by users:
- Electronic newsletters (Dispatches) – We may offer a free electronic newsletter to users. Ocean Signal gathers the email addresses of users who voluntarily subscribe. Users may remove themselves from this mailing list by following the link provided in every newsletter that points users to the subscription management page. Users can also subscribe to the newsletters at the time of registration (if available)
- Polling – We may offer interactive polls to users so they can easily share their opinions with other users and see what our audience thinks about important issues. Opinions or other responses to polls are aggregated and are not identifiable to any particular user. Ocean Signal may use a system to “tag” users after they have voted, so they can vote only once on a particular question. This tag is not correlated with information about individual users.
- Surveys – Ocean Signal may occasionally conduct user surveys to better target our content to our audience. We may sometimes share the aggregated demographic information in these surveys with our partners. However we never share any of this information about specific individuals with any third party.
Ocean Signal tracks user traffic patterns throughout all of our sites. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users. Ocean Signal does break down overall usage statistics according to a user’s domain name, browser type, and MIME type by reading this information from the browser string (information contained in every user’s browser).
Ocean Signal sometimes tracks and catalogs the search terms that users enter in our Search function, but this tracking is never associated with individual users. We use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don’t like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
Use of information
Ocean Signal uses any information voluntarily given by our users to enhance their experience in our network of sites, whether to provide interactive or personalized elements on the sites or to better prepare future content based on the interests of our users.
As stated above, we use information that users voluntarily provide in order to send out electronic newsletters and to enable users to participate in polls, surveys, message boards, and forums. We may send out newsletters to subscribers on a regular schedule (depending on the newsletter), and occasionally send out special editions when we think subscribers might be particularly interested in something we are doing. Ocean Signal never shares newsletter mailing lists with any third parties, including advertisers, sponsors or partners.
When we use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don’t like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you. We track search terms entered in Search function as one of many measures of what interests our users. But we don’t track which terms a particular user enters.
Ocean Signal may create aggregate reports on user demographics and traffic patterns for potential partners. We will not disclose any information about any individual user except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
Sharing of the information
Ocean Signal uses the above-described information to tailor our content to suit your needs and help our partners better understand our audience’s demographics. We will not share information about individual users with any third party, except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
Ocean Signal operates secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by our customers.
We give users options wherever necessary and practical. Such choices include:
- Opting not to register to receive our electronic newsletters.
- Opting not to participate in certain interactive areas, which completely alleviates the need to gather any personally identifiable information from our users